Monday, July 16, 2007

Airborne - overdosing on Vit A

Just a warning about Airborne. Yes, Airborne has a lot of great vitamins and herbs it may help you to not get sick. BUT it also carries a risk so please be careful when using it for yourself, and especially for your children.

The RDA for adults for Vitamin A is 5.000iu (some revised recomendations are even lower). Each Airbornne has 5,000iu so taking it more than once a day could lead to an overdose. The package recommends taking it every 3-4 hours!!! (but not more than 3 doses in a day). An overdose of Vit A can be toxic and even result in death.

Children 4-8 should only have 1333 iu a day so giving them half of an adult Airborne (as the package says you can) will give them almost twice that dose. A dose of Airborne Jr has 1250iu so it should only be given once in a day and should not be given to children under 4. (source) Their packaging does say ages 4-10. I used to give to the boys when they were 2 and 3 though - dont make the same mistake!

You also do NOT want to take your daily multivitamin on a day that you take Airborne as this could definitely cause an overdose. Especially be careful of this with children.

I would not recommend taking Airborne while nursing but that is something you can research yourself if you dont believe me :)

When Im getting sick I take high levels of Vit C. You can also take zinc. I will post more about that soon!

1 comment:

Alli said...

Hm. I didn't know all that. But my instincts were at least going in the right direction. Just before M-A was born, I was so nervous that the kids were going to get sick and wouldn't be able to see me or the baby in the hospital (I had a scheduled c-section and was in the hospital for a couple of days). So I got some airborne jr. and gave it to them (S was 3.5, Z was a couple weeks away from 2). I only gave Stephen half of a tablet. I would have given Z the same amount, but he refused to drink it. Good thing, I guess.

That's the only time we've ever bought it.