Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Manners

We are very strict about manners with the boys - please, thank you, yes ma'am, etc. We try to model these manners ourselves with everyone we meet.

So yesterday I went through Starbucks for an iced coffee (long night!). I said, like I normally would, "May I please have xxx". As she told me the total it sounded like she was laughing so I figured a coworker made her laugh. When I pulled around she opened the window and had a huge smile on her face...

"You said please! No one ever says please to me".
"Really?!?! Seriously????"
"Really. Everyone always says 'Give me x'"

Wow. Isnt that sad?

Even more than learning the right words to say and when to say them, it is so important to teach our children to think of others above themselves. To think about the person you are talking to when you order a drink or checkout your groceries, to consider the kind of day they are having and how hard they are working.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Phillipians 4:3-4

Im still challenged daily by the Lord to "die to self" and to think of others above myself. Im so thankful for the opportunity to teach my children to be like Jesus when I am still so far from His standard myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Rachel! Manners seem to be a thing of the past. It seems that no one has respect for anyone or anything anymore. I agree, we need to model ourselves more like the Savior. Would he treat others with disrespect and use his words harshly? NO! However, everyone is always in such a hurry and too busy to take the time to express appreciation and say please and thank you. I am going to "pay it forward" this next week and hopefully I can brighten someone's day. A little kindness goes a long way. You are doing a great job by setting such a great example for your children....keep up the good work!