Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bye-bye Paper Plates!

Hi. My name is Rachel and Im addicted to Paper Plates.

It must have begun when I was pregnant with #3, but Im not sure. I began using paper plates to make life easier for myself. After quite awhile of wasting money and killing the environment I read about not using bleached products with your food. Duh. So that made sense and I stopped putting anything hot on them to avoid the leaching of chemicals like dioxin into our food. But I still felt guilty everytime I used one to make a sandwhich on and then it was thrown away 20 mins longer.

Finally, about a month ago, I ran out and decided not to buy anymore. I still wish I had them sometimes and I do still cheat every now and then and make a sandwhich on a paper towel, but otherwise I am just using glass plates for everything. (Ikea has great inexpensive glass plates/bowls for the kids)

I dont think Im running the dishwasher too much more often because extra plates dont take up that much room. So I like to think Im saving money, keeping my home healthier and helping the environment at the same time.

Now I can start trying to wean myself from my beloved paper towels........



- Eye-opening lesson plan about bleached paper products

- Article #2: More info and what you can do to make a change

4 comments:

Green Republican said...

Wow, I had no idea bleached paper caused that much pollution! We don't use many paper plates, but we do use paper towels and baby wipes. My biggest problem is zip-lock bags... I LOVE zip-lock bags and I use way too many of them.

I totally need to buy more glass storage containers too. I use plastic most of the time... The Container Store has quite a few glass storage choices. Not cheap, but I may start buying them one piece at a time. I like the Borosilicate jars with the white poly lids.

Alli said...

You know, I've never been real big on paper plates. I don't think I've ever even bought any except for parties and such. My mom would buy them for us when she came to stay with us after I had each of the kids. I think there are some still sitting up in the cabinet. It's just not that big a deal to me to use a regular plate.

Well, it's good to know I'm doing something good (or at least not doing anything terrible). :)

Anonymous said...

Ug. Paper towels. Yes, I'm here with you both trying to get rid of those. My sister doesn't use them any more and I need to ask her what she uses in the microwave to cover her food so it doesn't splatter everywhere.

My kids now use Corelle dishes instead of plastic too - wow that was a hard one to fund but we got there slowly.

If anyone has Costco, they have a great deal on Pyrex glass storage containers with hard rubber lids. Fred Meyer grocery sometimes has them BOGO free. I love those for leftovers, easy to heat in the micro or oven. My next task is getting rid of the remaining of my 'tupperware' collection.

Rachel said...

we got some correlle bowls too. they were buy 2 get one free so it wasnt *too* bad. it helps that the boys are old enough to use glass. We have a glass table though so Jayna just eats her food off of there (which is no problem since its cleaned with a homemade, non-toxic cleaner *wink wink*)