Saturday, August 18, 2007

Johnson and Johnson

I was at Target and looking at their selection of Ca Baby products (for which care has actually been taken to make them healthy and safe)

I glanced over and saw J&J has a new natural looking product line called "Johnson's Soothing Naturals". I picked it up to read the label and saw exactly what I thought I would - a long list of chemicals, names I cant pronounce and even cancer-causing parabens. It even has trans fat it in - yuck, who wants to rub that into their skin?!?!

Wow, but be impressed ... it has Vitamin E, Olive Leaf Extract and "skin essential minerals" (whatever that is).

Shame on you Johnson&Johnson.


Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Cocoyl Amino Acids, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Potassium Aspartate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Magnesium Aspartate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Sarcosine, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance.

* My whole point is this: Was J&J was happy that Ca Baby got a nationwide contract with Target? Of course not! Before, they had the baby lotion market cornered. They know that consumers are now demanding more and more natural products and that means a profit loss for them. So they purposefully created a product that sounds/looks more natural and purposefully put it right next to the Ca Baby products at Target. They know that if they actually made an effort to change some of their ingredients it would implicate all the other products they sell are unhealthy. So they count on people not knowing the difference and use MARKETING to make sure they keep making money. This is plain and simple, deception. It makes me upset. I posted about it so that we could all know that there IS a difference - a big difference. I dont know what half those ingredients are but I do recognize some that I know are not safe - parabens and fragrance, to name two. Ca Baby managed to make a lotion without them and they did it because they really wanted to make a product that is healthy, not just make more money. My hope is that you get upset with J&J with me and let other people know to not fall for this marketing scheme.