Friday, August 31, 2007

Cytotec

If you or anyone you know does choose to be induced PLEASE dont let them give you Cytotec. Cytotec is a drug used for ulcers but is now also used to induce labor. *It is not approved for the purpose of inducing labor* It can work well for some, but for some the consequences are severe - even deadly.

I came across the package insert from Cytotecs manufactuerer, Pfizer. Besides numerous warnings against taking it while pregnant it says:

Cytotec has been reported to cause the uterus to rupture (tear) when given after the eighth week of pregnancy. Rupture (tearing) of the uterus can result in severe bleeding, hysterectomy, and/or maternal or fetal death.


THIS news story by CBS is about a woman whose baby died as a result of being induced with Cytotec :( It also says that company has repeatedly emphasized that its not for the induction of labor - but Dr.s continue to use it anyways and insist its safe.

Its very cheap, its fast and its easy to administer. Why wouldnt Dr.s love it?

The biggest risk is uterine rupture - especially in mothers who have had previous csetions. It can also cause severe, long-lasting contractions, fetal distress and hemorrhaging.

Article from CesareanBirth.com

Article from Mercola.com

Cytotec used as abortifacient :(

Article from Ina May Gaskin

Warning from FDA not to use Cytotec to induce labor!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to make the post about Cytotec. I am a mother who was induced with Cytotec. It is the worst mistake of my life. I was not told about the medication or any of the side effects. I just belived in my doctors education and did not think that he would do something to harm me or my son.

I was wrong. My placenta abrupted and my son was born dead. After 25 minutes Andrew was revivied, only to spend 7 days on life support, brain dead!

Having your son die in your arms is a pain no mother or father should ever go through. If people like you continue to spread the word then maybe these needless deaths, caused by the use of Cytotec and doctors who do not care, will end.

Again, I thank you for your post!

Hansi Holloway
www.hollowayfoundation.org
www.thecloudwalker.net/andrew

Rachel said...

oh Hansi - I am so, so sorry for the loss of your son. Its just heartbreaking. May your heart continue to heal....

Alli said...

What a tragic situation, Hansi. I was induced with Cytotec with my first son, but since my body wasn't ready to go into labor (I was induced early because the baby had quit growing). Thankfully, we had no side effects (that I know of), but this was very interesting to read.