So. Im going to talk about it until I convince myself of how totally evil it is. Special occasions are ok of course. I am going to visit family this month and I assure you if my sister and I are together - there WILL be chocolate ;). But everything in moderation and when Im back Ill be off of it again (Ive lost several pounds since I stopped eating sugar 2wks ago!).
Check out Ferbit's blog entry about how sugar affects the immune system: Green Republican
She mentions that ONE teaspoon of sugar can lower your immune system for 5hrs.
1 tsp sugar = 4 grams.
Here are some example so you can see how quickly your sugar content adds up in a day:
- 3/4 cup Honey Nut Cheerios: 9 grams (more than 2 tsp of sugar!)
- 1 Snickers bar: 29.8 grams sugar
- Kellogs Cereal Bar (apple cinnamon) = 13 grams (Id rather have half a snickers bar LOL!)
- 8 oz Orange Juice = 22 grams sugar (even 100% juice is processed by your body just like sugar - sorry!)
- 1/2 cup M&Ms = 48 grams of sugar (ouch!)
- 1 cup Ragu Spaghetti sauce = 10.8 grams
- Sonic Blast, Large = over 100 grams of sugar!!!! (ask me how I know LOL)
I can eat M&Ms with the best of them. But I cant imagine just chewing on 14 teaspoons of sugar - YUCK.
We are no longer buying Orange Juice. We are trying to switch to some healthier breakfasts like Steel Cut Oats with stevia and cinnamon or eggs instead of the organic shredded wheat they often eat (more on breakfast cereal on another day).
anyone want to get on the No-Sugar bandwagon with me? ;)
EDITED TO ADD: Its nearly impossible to eat ZERO sugar. I dont want to be a sugar-natzi and never enjoy life. I should clarify that we dont eat sugary drinks, juice, cookies, ice cream, candy, etc. If its a whole wheat product that has *a little* sugar then Im ok with that for the kids. But no junk. I guess thats relative LOL but I just try to error on the side of not eating it if Im not sure ;)