Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Lead, lead and more lead

Latest report says that Mattel toys had 180 times (!!!!) the amount of lead allowed by law.

an excerpt:

That means the level in some of the Mattel toys was almost twice the amount allowed before lead in house paint was banned 30 years ago, says John Rosen, a pediatrician and head of the lead program at New York City's Children's Hospital at Montefiore. He says a child who played with a toy with up to 11% lead paint for one to six months could get "substantial, severe lead poisoning."

ABC news article

and we've only scratched the surface here ...........

I just had my youngest two tested. I should hear back soon. Ill post the results. Hopefully they are fine :(

3 comments:

Alli said...

I'll be getting the kids tested next month(hopefully all 3, but last time I brought it up to my pedi, he made it seem like after ages 1 or 2, it's not as much of an issue...I plan on pressing him more on it). We haven't had any of the toys on the recall list, but you never know...

rachelle said...

did you just test them at the drs? Maybe I'll call and schedule an appt. too..

Rachel said...

well I had to do it through my Drs office but then they sent us to a lab with an order for the test. i have no idea how much it cost yet - hopefully not a lot.