Thursday, October 4, 2007

Genetically Modified Food

Ferbit over at the Green Republican lent me Dr. Mercolas book, Take Control of your Health. There is a lot of interesting information in the book but the chapter on Genetically Modified food really got to me. I am far from being able to explain it all to you but let me just say it is DISTURBING.


45% of corn in the US and 80% of soy is GM. Some of you know how I feel about soy already, so my vote is for not eating it at all anyways. But if you buy organic corn (costco sells a big bag of organic sweet corn that is super yummy and cheap!) then you know you are not eating something GM.

Id heard "genetically modified" but I never really knew how scary it is getting. They arent just trying to breed bigger, prettier foods. They have actually created food that is resistant to antibiotics and some that has its own pesticide INSIDE its DNA ...... um, thats totally freaky. And they are doing it to animals too - like breeding super pigs that have human growth hormones.

I dont know about you, but my instinct tells me that tweaking things at the DNA level "just aint right". We cant avoid GM foods 100% but no more non-organic corn products are coming into this house anymore! (corn chips are something the boys can have because they dont have soy. organic chips are so much more expensive but its ok, they dont need them anyways and neither do I!)

Avoiding processed foods is a great place to start. Anything with HFCS is guaranteed to have GM corn. Its estimated over 75% of processed foods contain GM food. Just another reason to eat real food!

Article from The Center for Food Safety

No comments: