Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Plastic part 1

I have not gotten too in-depth in my study of plastics but Ive heard enough to desire to make some changes. So far all we've done is switched to storing things in glass bowls instead of tupperware-type plastic containers and thrown away the kids plastic cutlery and bought them stainless steel sets. But what Id LIKE to do next is get rid of all the plastic sippy cups in my cupboard and get each child ONE, nice, stainless steel or safe sippy cup. This will simplify life and teach the children to be more responsbily and not leave their sippy in the car/their room/under the couch, etc. :)

A site I LOVE is www.ReusableBags.com They have a ton of great products and articles. But Ill break down the basics for you......

Bisphenol A or BPA is used to make many plastic containers like baby bottles (eek!!!!!). The dangerous thing about BPA is it breaks down, especially after a lot of use and wear in the dishwashwer, and it leaches into the food/drink touching it.

"Scientists have linked very low doses of bisphenol A exposure to cancers, impaired immune function, early onset of puberty, obesity, diabetes, and hyperactivity, among other problems." from this article on BPA, published Feb this year

That article also says that last summer, San Fransico asctually passed a law to prohit BPA in items intended for children under 3. This is a real problem!!!!! Why does it take so long for our government to catch on and make changes?!?!?!?!

So what can we do?

Well its painful but Ive waited awhile and now I think we will shell out the money to get each child either a Klean Kanteen or a SIGG bottle (both are on the site I posted at the top). Since I drink water ALL day from a machine-washed plastic bottle I will get one as well. And Ill throw the rest away!





The Klean Kanteen take a regular Avent sippy cup top. They are made from #5 plastic that is generally seen as "safe" and not one of the ones known to be dangerous. But the liquid is touching the stainless steel. I believe #7 is the one to watch out for - thats what my 1L plastic bottle is made from! Ick! (I just bought a 27oz Klean Kanteen on Ebay for myself for $17 including shipping!)

As I learn more I will share. Plastic is everywhere. But we can make little changes that will go a long way! Switching sippy cups is not an inexpensive change but its one thats really worth it! :)

No comments: